Sunday, September 9, 2012

Pickled Jalapenos

My husband absolutely loves pickled jalapenos on his sandwiches.  Everytime we go to Subway, that is what he puts on his sandwich.  So he inspired me to make picked jalapenos today.  For lunch/dinner, I made steak which I sliced thin and put on a hard roll.  I topped that with mozzarella cheese and he sprinkled on the habinero sauce.  When he asked me if we had pickled jalapenos, of course I said no.  After feeding our daughter, we went shopping, picked out two pounds of peppers and I got to work making this recipe after I had bathed my little one and got her off to bed.

Pickled Jalapenos

2 pounds of jalapenos
5 cups of vinegar
5 teaspoons sea salt
5 teaspoons powdered mustard or turmeric
canning jars.

1.  In a large sauce pan, boil water with your canning jars and your lids.  Boil them for a few minutes to sanitize the jars.  Carefully remove with tongs and lay on a towel.

2.  Wash your jalapenos and slice them thinly.  Place all the jalapenos in the sanitized jars.  Make sure to leave at least 1/4 of an inch from the top of the jar.  I go by the lid line.

3.  Boil the vinegar, sea salt or kosher salt, powered mustard or turmeric in a large saucepan.  Once it reaches the boiling point, carefully pour the mixture into the glass jars.  Make sure to just cover the jalapenos .  Now seal the lid on the jars.  As they cool, they should start to seal.

Now enjoy.  Once they are cool, make sure to store in a cool dry place.  Should keep about 6 months to a year.

HINTS:
  ***  This recipe will fill about 5 jars.
  ***  I didn't have turmeric so I substituted with mustard which is why both are listed
  ***  I used sea salt because I didn't have kosher salt.  I understand that regular table salt will turn everything a muddy brown.  I will let you know if it does.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment